Sunday, January 25, 2009

Kong Hee Fatt Choy!

I am from Penang so the greeting to all my Chinese friends is in Hokien. Anyway, to non-Hokiens friends, Gong Xi Fa Cai. I wish you all a very Happy New Year and may you and your family have healthy and prosperous Year of the Ox.

See, I don't need a fatwa to know that I, a Muslim, could greet and wish you on the occassion of your New Year. I know for a fact that for the Chinese, the New Year is a cultural and not a religious festival. Hence, a Chinese not matter what his religion, celebrates this cultural occassion.

I don't see any reason why we need a fatwa for this occassion as done by a blogger who quoted at length various fatwas to justify is greetings. Perhaps he feels a need to write something lenghty for his visitors to show he has done his homework.

No comments: